Image courtesy Greenpeace
The Introduction sets out an overview of the book with stark statistics about the corporate and governmental lies. It catalogues how New Zealand has:
- increased its greenhouse gas emissions by 22% since signing the Kyoto Protocol in 2005. The protocol binds countries to a 5% average reduction on their 1990 levels over 5 years.
- an emissions total 60% higher than britain per head of population
- the 12th highest enmissions in the world per head of population
- the 9th highest rating of household waste
- the 11th highest energy consumption among the 20 OECD countries
- the 6th highest ecological footprtint in the world
- the 8th bhighest car ownership rate in the world
- one of the work public transport systems in the world
and to cap it off, there are more than 8,000 undocumaneted toxic waste dumps through out the country posing a serious threat to health and safety. The Introduction confronts the contradictions and holds the government's feet to the fire about its ideological pursuit of the (un)free market.
To download the PDF CLICK HERE.